2019 JULY HNA Minutes

Joint King Neighborhood Association/Humboldt Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

KNA Board Members Present: Amy Wilson, Cheri Folsom, Jacquie Walton, Libby Deal, John Kim, John Beck (representing Sarah Moses)

HNA Board Members Present: Kymberly Jeka, Abe Proctor, Richard Hunter, Alicia Richards, Cliff Walker

Community Members Present: Rebecca Rockom, Sofia Sundberg, Bryce Sprauer, Mark Takiguchi, Mary McMurray, Alicia Richerds, Brandi Boersma, Dan Dieckhaus, Margaret Calvert, David Kidd

Old Business

  • Approval of HNA June Minutes
    • The HNA meeting minutes from June 12, 2019 were approved as presented. Motioned by Kym, seconded by Alicia, and approved unanimously.
  • Approval of KNA June Minutes
    • KNA meeting minutes from June 12, 2019 were approved as presented. Motioned by Amy, seconded by Jacquie, and approved unanimously.
  • Albina Killingsworth Safe Neighborhood Commission Update
    • No updates.
  • PSAC meeting update
    • No updates.
  • PCC update (Abe)
    • The next National Night Out celebration is Thursday, August 8th, from 4 to 7 PM, in the middle of the PCC campus.
    • HNA will be an official sponsor and have a table at the event. Cheri (KNA) volunteered to share the HNA table. Cheri will contact Kym regarding handouts for the event. Libby (KNA) said that the KNA has some buttons that could be handed out during the event.
    • Cheri (KNA) volunteered to find out if there is a National Night Out celebration in the King neighborhood.

New Business

  • KNA Land Use update
    • KNA land use chair Michael Barrett was not present. (He has resigned.)
    • Libby (KNA) expressed interest in becoming the next land use chair.
  • Civic Life Code Change update
    • Libby expressed concerns regarding the elimination of NAs from the code description, the removal of open meeting requirements, and the possibility that NAs will no longer receive insurance. 
    • A final draft of the code change proposal was not passed by the code change committee at their last meeting. 
    • Amy (KNA) said that at least three NAs have asked for a stay so that NAs have time to review the proposed changes. Amy motioned for the KNA to write a letter in favor of delaying the vote. John Kim (KNA) seconded the motion. Amy said that she will write the letter and that the KNA board will review it. Kym (HNA) motioned for the HNA to write a similar letter. Alicia (KNA) seconded the motion. Amy said that she will ask the NECN to write a similar letter.
    • Libby reported that Allen Field (Richmond NA) has started a Google group to share information about the code change proposal. Libby said that she will share Allen’s email address with Kym (HNA).
    • According to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/civic/78088, meeting #8 of the Civic Life Code Change Project is scheduled for Thursday, July 18, from 5:30 to 8:00 PM, at the Portland Water Bureau at 664 N. Tillamook St.
  • KNA outreach 
    • Cheri (KNA) and John Kim (KNA) talked about their experiences while hosting a KNA table at the King Farmers Market on July 7.
    • People who approached the KNA table at the Farmers Market were interested in talking about the new 9thAvenue Greenway, adding speed bumps on NE Grand Ave. near King Elementary School, and continuing the Green King project (managed by former KNA chair Diego Gioseffi). For details about Green King, see https://depave.org/green-king/.
    • Cheri stated that she will contact Diego about the current status of the Green King project.
    • Cheri stated that she has reached out to King Elementary School, but that she has not yet heard back from them.
    • The KNA will man a table at the King Farmers Market on August 11, 2019.
  • Miscellaneous business
    • Mark Takiguchi (Executive Director of Alberta Abbey) offered the use of the Abbey (126 NE Alberta St.) to screen “Portland Civil Rights – Lift Ev’ry Voice.” Mark proposed having a panel discussion after the screening. Mark also stated that there will be an open house at the Abbey on August 10, from 4 PM to 8 PM. During the event, the public is invited to choose a new color for the outside of the Abbey. Mark also stated that the Abbey has started a letter writing campaign to obtain support for the Abbey’s application to legitimize commercial use. 
    • Kym (HNA) described Walk Williams (see http://williamsdistrict.com/walkwilliams/) and the upcoming Mississippi Ave. Street Fair (see http://mississippiave.com/streetfair/). The HNA will have a table at the Mississippi Ave. Street Fair.
    • Libby mentioned that the public is invited to attend a meeting with Eric Paine, CEO of Community Development Partners, July 27, from 10 AM to 12 PM, at Alberta Abbey (126 NE Alberta St.), to discuss the future development of the Alberta Abbey parking lot. 

2019 JUNE HNA Minutes

2019 September HNA Minutes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *